Thursday 17th April
According to Allergy UK, peanut and tree nut allergies are the most common food allergies in adults and children – but what do you know about the symptoms and treatment of this allergy? We’re here to give you key facts along with some useful resources to help you find out more…
Firstly, it’s important to be aware of the symptoms of a peanut allergy. Reactions can vary from mild to very severe (and even life-threatening), and will often start very quickly after having coming into contact with a nut.
Symptoms of a mild allergic reaction can include…
- Tingling mouth and lips
- Your face swelling
- A feeling of tightness in the throat
- Feeling sick
- Hives or nettle rash
- Pains in your abdomen
A more severe allergic reaction is called anaphylaxis which can include all of the above, in addition to the following symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing due to an asthma-like reaction
- Flushing of the skin
- Alterations in heart rate
- A low blood pressure which can cause you to feel faint or collapse
So what should you do if you have an allergic reaction to peanuts?
If you have a mild reaction you should take an antihistamine tablet as soon as possible (these work to block the action of the histamine chemical which is released into your body during the allergic reaction.) You can buy these at a pharmacy and they usually take around 15-30 minutes to start working. (If your reaction gets worse then get medical help straightaway.)
For severe anaphylactic reactions you should call an ambulance as soon as possible. Read our article here on how to deal with severe allergic reactions.
Signs, symptoms and diagnosis of a nut allergy.
Foods to avoid if you have a peanut allergy.
The facts on peanut and nut allergies.