How we can help…
Unsure how to access Benenden’s diagnosis and treatment services once you’ve passed the 6 month qualifying period? Read and keep this step-by-step guide
1. VISIT YOUR GP
Firstly, visit your GP. We ask you to do this before you call us so that we know which of our services you may need. If your GP is referring you to a consultant or for a test on the NHS, ask the approximate wait time you can expect to face and confirm the type of consultant you need to see.
2. CALL MEMBER SERVICES
If you are worried by the delay for a diagnosis, contact our Member Services Team on 0800 414 8100. It is helpful if you have your membership number to hand so we can find your record quickly.
3. ASK IF WE CAN HELP
We will ask some questions about your symptoms and the type of tests or consultation your GP has referred you for. Applying discretion means Benenden understanding what support you need and how any NHS delay will affect you. We’ll tell you then and there if and how we can help.
4. YOUR OPTIONS
If we can help and you live within a one and a half hour journey of Benenden Hospital in Kent, you will be expected to have your consultation or tests there. If we can help and you live further away, we will use the Bupa network to find three provisional options close to your home. We will pay costs directly for pre-agreed diagnostic services up to the maximum value of £1,500 per case.
5. CONFIRMING SERVICES
We will send you a letter confirming the services authorised and outlining any limitations. You should not go ahead with any appointments until this written authorisation has been obtained.
6. THE NEXT STEPS
Our letter will explain what you have to do next to have your consultations and tests. If you are not visiting the Benenden Hospital please ask the hospital for indicative costs so that you can manage your spend within the £1,500 limit.
USEFUL CONTACT NUMBERS
- Member Services Team 0800 414 8100*
- 24/7 GP Advice Line 0800 414 8247*
- 24/7 Psychological Wellbeing Helpline 0800 414 8247*
SOME POINTS TO REMEMBER…
- Benenden will pay costs for pre-agreed diagnostic tests and consultations up to the value of £1,500.
- Ask the hospital for indicative costs so you can manage your spend within the £1,500 limit.
- Check your guide to society services booklet or access via the website for specific details of what your membership covers.
- At Benenden, we want to find the best way of supporting every member.