Benenden Charitable Trust provides financial assistance to current and former members of Benenden Health experiencing hardship and distress.
The trust can agree grants of up to £3,000 for a variety of health-related needs, including specialist equipment, home adaptations and some medical treatments, as well as financial assistance where managing everyday living costs is a struggle. The trust can also help in unexpected situations which aren’t related to a health condition, but which are affecting the individual’s wellbeing, such as bereavement, divorce or redundancy.
Benenden Charitable Trust is seeking to appoint an Independent Trustee to join its board of trustees. Trustees hold the charity ‘in trust’ for current and future beneficiaries by:
- Ensuring that the charity has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and is focused on achieving these.
- Ensuring that Benenden Charitable Trust complies with its governing document (i.e. its Articles of Association), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- Ensuring that Benenden Charitable Trust pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- Ensuring Benenden Charitable Trust applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects, i.e. it must not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be.
- Identification and management of risk.
- Acting as guardians of the charity’s assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over their security, deployment and proper application.
- Take part in formulating and regularly reviewing the strategic aims of the charity.
- Ensuring policies and practices are in keeping with aims.
- Understand and actively undertake the responsibilities of a trustee, as outlined by the Charity Commission.
- Attend meetings of the trustees and be an active member of the Board in exercising its responsibilities and functions.
- Ensure that the organisation functions within the legal and financial requirements of a charitable organisation and strives to achieve best practice.
- Contribute specific skills, interests and contacts and support the charity through promoting its activities.
- Maintain good relations with senior management and all staff.
- Actively promote the organisation's purpose, values and strategy at all times.
- Take part in training sessions provided for the benefit of the trustees.
- Fulfil such other duties and assignments as may be required from time to time by the trustee body.
Knowledge and Experience
- Awareness of how charities operate and the role of trustees.
- Ability to operate at different levels, understanding when a detailed assessment is necessary and when to apply a strategic approach.
- Ability to think outside the box to contribute to strategic discussions.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of social trends and their implications for those in times of hardship.
We are open to all appropriate applications but would particularly welcome candidates with experience at a senior level in management of mental health or social care services.
Flexibility and Adaptability
- Able to assimilate information quickly and deal with fast moving discussions.
- Ability to respect boundaries between executive and governance functions.
Judgement and Decision Making
- Understand the need for and actively demonstrate confidentiality.
- Empathetic to the work of the charity.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to work as part of a team, with colleagues and management.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to give and receive feedback objectively and sensitively and a willingness to challenge constructively.
The position is voluntary and unpaid. Travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed in line with the Benenden Travel & Expenses policy.
- Attendance at quarterly Trustee meetings in York, London and Kent.
- One-day annual strategy seminar.
- Decision making on cases above the approval limits of the operational team
5pm, Monday 7th October 2019
To apply for this position please provide a covering letter detailing your suitability for the role along with your CV and the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date please assume your application was unsuccessful in this instance. Please visit our website for further vacancies which may be of interest to you.