Healthy motivations

The bitter-sweet truth

Almost 7 out of 10 men are overweight or obese (66.4%) and almost 6 in 10 women (57.5%). Statistics show that the trend in obesity in both men and women climbed steadily from the early 90s, but has somewhat levelled off since 2012. The UK also has the 3rd highest rates of obesity in the EU. As with children, sugar is cited as a major cause of adult obesity and excess weight. Adults are reportedly consuming around twice the maximum recommended level.

Motivations to keep healthy

The vast majority of people taking part in the survey – 48% – were motivated to eat a good diet to promote better health and wellbeing, while 26% said it was to lose weight and look better. Just 7.2% admitted to not eating healthily. A range of other health reasons were cited by much smaller numbers of respondents – including 6% of people who said they ate healthily to reduce cholesterol, 2% to reduce the chances of developing type 2 diabetes and 2% to decrease their chances of developing heart disease.

The younger survey respondents were most eager to eat healthily to lose weight and look better – 41% with this reason dropping to just 17% of the 55+ age group who instead cited better health and wellbeing as their main motivation for eating a healthy diet (54%) In fact, numbers were fairly evenly split across all age groups in favour of healthy eating for vanity, health and wellbeing reasons.

 

Info 2016 17

How much do we think our genes are to blame?

Most respondents appear to think fate, or more accurately their genes, are responsible for their health, or lack of it: 49% believe genes dictate chances of getting diseases such as type 2 diabetes, with just 27% citing the role of diet in influencing health outcomes; 24% said they didn’t know either way. Science tells us that very few health conditions are only caused by genes – most are caused by the combination of genes and environmental factors including diet and exercise.

This is an attitude held across the age groups, with 50% (give or take a percentage point or two) believing genes to be the key influencing factor in their health.

Marginally more men (50%), than women (47%), believe genes to be the principal influencing factor. Approximately a quarter of each sex (23% of men and 24% of women) said they didn’t know which has the greatest influence.

 

Info 2016 18


Find out more about public attitudes to health and wellbeing in our National Health Report. 

twitter icon facebook icon youtube icon linkedin icon googleplus icon

Contact us - We would love to hear from you

New members

Send us a message

Benenden Personal Healthcare
Holgate Park Drive
York
YO26 4GG
0800 414 8001 * (Lines open 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri excluding Bank Holidays)

Existing members

Send us a message

Benenden Personal Healthcare
Holgate Park Drive
York
YO26 4GG
0800 414 8100 * (Lines open 8am - 8pm, Mon-Fri excluding Bank Holidays)

Please note that your call may be recorded for our mutual security and also for training and quality purposes.

Health cash plans

Benenden Health Cash Plan
BHSF Limited
2 Darnley Road,
Birmingham,
B16 8TE
0800 414 8071

Lines are open 8.45am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

Self-pay orthopaedic surgery

Send us a message

Benenden Hospital Trust
Goddard's Green Road
Benenden
Cranbrook
Kent
TN17 4AX
01580 242521 (Lines open 8am-4.30pm Mon-Fri)

Health assessments

Send us a message

Health assessments
Unit 1, Cameron Court
Cameron Street
Hillington Park
Glasgow
G52 4JH
0800 414 8486*

Travel insurance

Send us a message

Travel insurance
2nd Floor Maitland House
Warrior Square
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS1 2JY
0800 414 8301*

Lines open for Sales
9am-8pm Monday to Friday 
9am-5pm Saturday
10am-5pm Sunday

Lines open for Customer Services
9am-8pm Monday to Friday
9am-5pm Saturday
10am-5pm Sunday

Benenden for business

Send us a message

Benenden for Business
Holgate Park Drive
York
YO26 4GG

0800 414 8179
(Lines are open 9am-5pm Mon-Fri)

Home insurance

Send us a message

Benenden Home Insurance
1st Floor Maitland House
Warrior Square
Southend on Sea
Essex
SS1 2JY
0800 414 8556* (Lines open Monday to Friday 9am – 7pm, Saturday 9am – 5pm, excludes Bank Holidays)

Home Emergency
0800 294 2851* (Lines open 24 hours a day)

Legal Expenses
0330 100 9618* (Lines open 24 hours a day)

Charitable trust

Send us a message

Find out more

Charitable Trust
Holgate Park Drive
York
YO26 4GG
0800 414 8450* (Lines open 8am - 4pm Mon-Fri)