This document explains:
(1) who we are;
(2) the purposes for which we use information about you;
(3) who we share information with;
(4) how we protect your information; and
(5) how you can contact us to find out more and check and update your information.
We keep our privacy notice under regular review; because this information may be updated from time to time we recommend you check it regularly. This privacy notice was last updated on 23rd November 2015.
(1) Who we are:
When we refer to Benenden, we mean:
The Benenden Healthcare Society Ltd
Holgate Park Drive,
Its wholly owned subsidiary companies
Benenden Wellbeing LTD, also trading as Benenden
Holgate Park Drive,
Benenden Insurance Services trading as Benenden
Holgate Park Drive,
Benenden Charitable Trust
Holgate Park Drive,
Benenden Hospital Trust
Goddard's Green Road,
Keegan and Pennykid (Insurance Brokers) Ltd
50 Queen Street
By becoming a Benenden member, you are agreeing to share information you have provided to the Benenden group of companies and our partners in order for us to provide services to you.
(2) Information we hold
Benenden hold the following details about you:
- Personal information about who you are, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address and date of birth
- Your payment details
- Details of when you contact us and when we contact you
- For the administration of our services to you it will be necessary to collect and process information which the Data Protection Act defines as “sensitive” (such as health information) either at the point of joining or when a case is raised. In such cases we will always explain what information we require and why it is needed. Such data will always be processed and stored securely
- Information collected using cookies stored on your device(s) about your use of our online websites
To get the most from your membership, it’s really important that your details are up to date. You can update your information by registering and logging into the member’s area online
How we use your information
The main uses of your data are:
- To administer your Benenden membership.
- To provide you with the services we are able to offer when members request assistance.
- To communicate with you about your membership.
- To run satisfaction surveys to find out more about whether or not you have been satisfied with your membership or the services you have received, including if you decide not to renew your membership, so that we can try to improve and develop our services and products. *This may be up to three months after your membership ends.
- To provide products and services to the customers of Benenden Wellbeing and Benenden Insurance.
- To send you details of products, services and special offers that we think will be of interest to you, including of other carefully selected organisations, where you have agreed to receive these. You can find out more about marketing below.
- To carry out market research. We will always seek your consent first if we ever wish to use your sensitive personal information about health matters for market research purposes.
- To track and analyse activity on our website
- When you become a member through Benenden Personal Healthcare, request assistance, purchase a Benenden Insurance or Benenden product or service or end your membership we may follow up that event with an enquiry or short survey about your experience to help us gauge member satisfaction.
- Sometimes, we may use the information we hold about you to develop aggregated and anonymised information and statistics for the purpose of monitoring usage of our services. This helps to develop new services. Such aggregated information may be shared in an anonymised format with third parties but it will never include information that can be used to identify any individual.
(3) Sharing your details
To run Benenden and to provide you with our services, we may share your information with others, both inside and outside the Benenden Group.
This might mean sharing your information:
Within Benenden group
Information about you and any products you hold with us may be used within Benenden for all purposes necessary for performing our contract with you and for:
- Assisting in verifying your identity
- Assessing risks
- Understanding your requirements
- Developing, testing, researching and improving products and services
- Marketing products and services we believe may be appropriate to you
- Training and business analysis
- Legal and regulatory compliance
- Preventing or detecting financial crime
- Complaints handling
- Improving customer service
With other organisations
We share information with carefully selected approved third party providers in order to give you the best experience when you use our services. For instance, we may pass on your details so that they can provide services for you such as:
The Benenden Health Cash Plan provides cover that gives you money back towards a range of health care expenses and is arranged and administered by BHSF Limited on behalf of Benenden Wellbeing Limited.
Benenden Personal Healthcare
We have a large network of hospitals and clinics around the country which have been carefully chosen to ensure our members are given the best care. All of them are dedicated to giving prompt diagnosis and the very best care so you can concentrate on getting better quickly.
Independent Living Aids
We’ve partnered up with healthcare.co.uk to provide access to a specialist range of independent living aids aimed to help, regain and preserve mobility and freedom.
When we share your information with our approved third party providers our contract with them will not allow them to use your information for anything else.
For the purposes of improving our products, services and marketing communications, we may share your information with specialist market research organisations who may contact you on our behalf and invite you to take part in market research, but who will not be allowed to use your information for anything else.
We may also need to give information to third parties where we are required or permitted to do so by law.
(4) Security of your personal information
Benenden takes your privacy very seriously and has a range of policies, processes and technical measures in place to safeguard your personal information. We endeavour to protect all information we hold about you by ensuring that we have appropriate security measures in place to prevent unauthorised access, information being lost, destroyed or damaged. For instance we conduct audits to monitor our compliance with Information Security and data protection requirements.
In the usual course of our business, we may use third party organisations called “data processors” to support the essential delivery of our services. This may be to support IT systems in which your information is stored, or for the purposes of allowing recurring payments, debt collection, transportation and storage of information and confidential destruction.
Where a third party “data processor” is used to do things on our behalf, we ensure that they operate under contractual restrictions with regard to confidentiality and security, in addition to their obligations under the Data Protection Act.
Personal information you provide to us is kept for as long as is reasonably necessary. We have implemented appropriate security to protect the personal information you disclose to us from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction
This means though that if you contact us:
We may need to carry out some checks to make sure that we are talking to the right person. This makes it more difficult for criminals to use financial systems, or to use false names and addresses, to steal the identities of innocent people. Checking identity is an important way of fighting money laundering and other criminal activities.
If we are unable to validate your name and address details in this way, we may ask you to provide further evidence so that we can access your sensitive information.
In addition to this, as part of our ongoing requirement to verify the identity of existing members, you may be asked to provide certain documents to confirm your name and/or address.
Please be aware that we reserve the right to discuss any financial transactions made with the originating account holder
Communications in connection with our site may be sent by email. For ease of use and compatibility, communications other than payments will not be sent in an encrypted form unless you require it and provide the certification to enable us to communicate with you in that way. Email unless encrypted is not a fully secure means of communication.
(5) Keeping your information up to date
From time to time you may need to update your contact details and if you pay for other people on your membership you can do this on their behalf. If you’re registered on our members website you can update your contact preferences here
Freedom of Information
Benenden and its subsidiaries do not fall under the Freedom of Information act as Benenden is not a public authority.
Subject Access Requests
In line with principle 6 of the data protection act 1998 you can ask for the information that we hold on you. For a Subject Access Request to be valid we must receive this in writing and we have 40 calendar days to respond to your request. We reserve the right to charge a fee for any requests made.
To help us to identify products and services that we believe may be of interest to you we may occasionally write to you. The identification of these products or services may be based on products you hold with us or on activity carried out during your memberships. If you do not wish to receive information on products and services by letter, telephone or email, or any combination of these, you can write and tell us at any time . We may occasionally invite you to reconsider your preferences, for instance if you take out a new product with us.
We will never sell your information, share or give any information to external companies for their own marketing purposes.
If you wish to change any permissions you have given for us to contact you with details of products, services and special offers that we think will be of interest to you, including of other carefully selected organisations, you can unsubscribe by either using the unsubscribe link featured on emails, or by using any of the contact methods below:
Mail: Member Services, Benenden, Holgate Park Drive, York, YO26 4GG
Retaining your Information
If you provide us with your personal information we will keep the information for as long as is necessary to comply with data protection or legal obligation or for audit purposes. We may also retain your details for a limited period and use them to help us to identify products and services that we believe may be of interest to you, which may be based on products you hold with us or on activity carried out during your membership. If your membership terminates we may retain your information for up to 3 years so that we can conduct research and in case you decide to come back to us at a later date.
Finding out more
If you have questions about our services or our use of information about you, you should call us or write to us so that we do our best to help.