Love your lungs
Monday 17th March
How much do you know about the way you breathe? Read on for some facts about the lungs.
- Our lungs process 10,000 litres of air on a daily basis.
- The adult lung weighs less than half a kilo (making it three times lighter than the brain).
- The left lung is slightly smaller than the right; it has to fit into the ribcage next to the heart.
- Giving up smoking will help to improve your lung function – and reduce the effects of passive smoking on those around you. While some smokers choose the new year or National No Smoking Day to quit, help is available year round at your GP surgery or high street pharmacy.
- Asthma is a chronic condition affecting the airways in the lungs. In the first year of England's public smoking ban alone there was a 12 per cent drop in children's hospital admissions for severe asthma*.
*Source: Report by Imperial College, London