What kind of gifts can I leave in my will?
- A share of your estate (Residuary Legacy): Once you've worked out what you'd like to leave to family and friends, you can donate a share, or all of what's left.
- A specific sum of money (Pecuniary Legacy): If you want to leave a lump sum to Benenden Charitable Trust, you specify this amount in your will.
- A specific item: This could be jewellery, a first edition book, or any item that you think will be of some value to Benenden Charitable Trust when sold.
Where can I get help with writing a will?
There is a range of online resources providing advice on how to leave a gift in your will.
Remember A Charity is a part of the Institute of Fundraising and provides some useful advice on their website. MoneySavingExpert also have a useful article on writing a will for little or no cost.
If you're over 55, live in England or Wales, you can benefit from Free Wills Month which runs in March and October. If you're under 55, you could use Will Aid, which runs each November. Participating solicitors across the UK provide will-writing services free of charge, and ask that you give a donation to Will Aid. Will Aid uses these donations to support a number of charities.
Free or heavily discounted will-writing services are also available through many trade unions, employers and are even included in some home and motor insurance policies.
Our promise to you
A legacy to Benenden Charitable Trust will help us continue providing relief for people suffering health-related financial hardship and distress. Leaving a gift in your will is a big decision that will make a big difference on the lives of people in need. To acknowledge the importance of this decision, we make the following promises:
- The decision to make a gift in your will is yours alone. We will always respect your need to carefully consider leaving a legacy - in your own time.
- Your family and friends are important. We will always understand that everyone you hold dear comes first.
- We understand that your will is personal to you. We will handle your legacy gift with the utmost sensitivity and respect for your privacy.
- We will spend your money wisely - where it will have the most impact.
- You don't have to tell us if you choose to leave a gift to Benenden Charitable Trust, but if you do, it will help us to plan future work, and we will keep your decision completely confidential.
What if I already have a will?
If you already have a will and want to leave a legacy gift to Benenden Charitable Trust, all you have to do is make an amendment called a 'codicil'. Just speak to your solicitor about making a codicil to your existing will, and they'll be able to help you.