Medical consultations and diagnostics
Medical diagnostics, tests and scans
Request private Medical Diagnosis at one of the hospitals in our diagnostic network for symptoms for which you have been referred by your NHS GP. Once authorised, we can support your diagnostic costs up to the value of £1800.
More care for you
This service is available after six months of membership
Dependent on authorisation, our service includes medical consultations with an appropriate consultant and may include health tests such as scans, x-rays, and can support diagnostics up to the value of £1,800.
- All authorised medical costs will be settled directly by Benenden Health.
- You’ll be asked to pay for additional costs which you incur and any costs you incur without our prior authorisation.
- You must contact us for authorisation before you proceed with any appointments. We'll ask you to provide a copy of your GP referral and details of the NHS waiting time for your appointment.
- Please refer to our current wait times or call us for guidance on how your NHS waiting time is used to help determine whether your request for services could be supported.
Where we’re able to authorise your request, you’ll be provided with authorisation to make your appointments with a consultant at an appropriate clinic or hospital we propose.
Please note we may offer an initial assessment with a specialist clinician in the first instance to determine the most clinically relevant pathway for you.
You’ll be responsible for funding any diagnostics costs incurred over £1,800. To help you manage these costs, you should request that the consultant and the facility where you have your appointment provide you with a guide price which includes all associated fees. You must contact us for authorisation before you proceed with any appointments.
Please note we will not provide funding if you proceed with any appointments without our authorisation.
We won’t currently authorise diagnostic assistance for:
- Any appointments which are not for diagnosis purposes
- Cosmetic concerns
- Angiograms (cardiac catheterisation)
- Specialist assistance for pain management
- Complementary therapy
- Second opinion consultations
- Any diagnosis where, in our view, it may be safer for you to remain on the NHS waiting list e.g. psychiatry and suspected cancer diagnosis or where the diagnosis may lead to a long-term medical requirement
The above list is subject to change and you should always contact us for authorisation prior to making any appointments.
All appointments we authorise must take place within six months of our initial authorisation.
We won’t settle any expense that you incur more than six months after initial authorisation.
We won’t provide diagnostic services for symptoms where we have authorised support in the previous two years.
NHS wait times
To request access to diagnostics please refer to our guidance on how NHS waiting times may determine whether your request will be authorised.
Please ensure you've read and understand what is and isn't included
Hospitals locations for medical consultations and diagnostics
We have a network of facilities providing members with access to diagnostics consultations and tests. This network includes our own Benenden Hospital located in Kent.
Members living within our calculation of a two hour drive time of Benenden Hospital will be required to attend Benenden Hospital for their diagnostic services.
How it works
To request Medical Diagnostics you must have been a member for a minimum of six months
Please follow the steps below:
You must have been referred for diagnostics by the NHS GP practice of which you are a registered patient.
You must also have details of the NHS waiting time for your appointment.
Please see our current NHS wait time threshold
If your NHS wait time is longer than our current threshold you can then call us on
0800 414 8100, for authorisation.
Our advisers will inform you of what services may be agreed.
If we can help with a diagnosis you will need to provide a copy of your GP referral.
Once we’ve received a copy of your GP referral letter and we have authorised the service, we’ll provide you with authorisation to make your appointments at the appropriate clinic or hospital which we propose.
Please call us on 0800 414 8100 to request Medical Diagnostics. Lines are open 8am - 5pm Monday -Friday.
Speak to a GP today on 0800 414 8247
Medically reviewed by Cheryl Lythgoe on 4th August 2020. Next review date: 4th August 2021.