- Media centre
- From gentle stretches to pumping Zumba launch of 100 years of fitness video
- Search begins for Yorks community heroes
- Not-for-profit organisations as preferred providers for the NHS a response to Andy Burnham
- Businesses urged to Raise your Rainbow for York Pride 2015
- Benenden recognised as one of the UK’s top 100 not-for-profit organisations to work for
- Devolution of health budgets to regions offers opportunity to make use of mutual expertise
- Benenden Hospital celebrates construction works with topping out ceremony
- Mutuals can play a role in the future of UK healthcare a response to Frank Field MP
- Kick off for York City and benenden charity matches
- Charities receive benefit from benenden staff fundraising!
- The positive contribution made by mutuals to growth and healthcare
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2015
- Solidarity-based health systems and the importance of mutuals
- Charity glasses appeal results in donation of over 3,000 glasses
- Benenden consultant provides medical help in Iraq
- York City FC Foundation and sponsors Benenden Health launch new opportunity for grassroots junior football
- The Benenden Health team donate to The Press Toys and Tins Appeal
- Two thirds believe we’re more selfish than 20 years ago
- Benenden Hospital features in TV programme about independent healthcare
- Enter the Benenden Health Christmas competition
- Stress can reduce your mental ability to “that of a small child”
- Your chance to win a festive treat with @benendenhealth on twitter
- Benenden Hospital consultant in adviser role for new movie
- Benenden Health takes the stage at international mutuals forum
- Benenden Health hailed as York’s ‘Large Business of the Year’
- Benenden talks to Think Tank Policy Review about EU priorities
- Benenden Health sponsors York City’s festive match programme competition
- Research reveals health is low down on the list of priorities for UK people
- Need some motivation to help you exercise?
- Benenden supports glasses for The Gambia initiative
- Chief Executive of benenden health responds to the ‘NHS Five Year Forward View’
- The necessity for a European Mutual Statute highlighted in the European Parliament
- Benenden Health shortlisted in two categories at local business awards
- York heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- Benenden launches UK-wide Health Assessments product
- York’s community champions celebrated in York Community Pride Awards
- Know someone who deserves to be pampered?
- Benenden appoints new Head of HR
- Empowering patients a hot topic for benenden health at party conferences
- Benenden Health’s National Health Report 2014
- Your chance to win an iPod shuffle with benenden health on Twitter
- Benenden Health voices concern on new Free Trade Agreement with the United States
- City of York Athletic Club and sponsors benenden health set the ‘beep test challenge’
- Getting ready for your holidays? You’ve got the chance to win a £10 Boots voucher with benenden health on Twitter!
- Benenden Health acquires Keegan & Pennykid (Insurance Brokers) Ltd
- Benenden Health’s Annual Conference takes place in Kensington
- Benenden Group appoints new Head of Strategy
- UK study by benenden health finds a nation wilfully neglecting its health
- Fundraising for Creepy Crawlies defibrillator given a boost by benenden health
- benenden health aim for fourth win in a row in major customer service
- Benenden Health secures fourth win at prestigious customer service awards
- Lowestoft Town FC signs up for benenden employee healthcare scheme
- How much do men and women worry about their looks?
- What becomes of the broken hearted?
- Our mutual friends have NOT lost the plot…
- End to VAT on Air Ambulance fuel helps benenden health’s local charity of the year
- York Pride 2014
- The mutual future of our National Health Service
- benenden health on board as lead partner for Active York
- Free health checks offered to York City fans and residents
- Former NHS Director takes customer services reins at benenden health
- benenden health support York City Football Club’s first Football v Homophobia match
- benenden health fundraising takes a healthy turn in 2014
- What do people think of mutuality?
- benenden health’s Chief Executive responds to Reform report proposals on the NHS
- benenden travel insurance hits the market
- New HR Director appointed for benenden group
- G&E Wealth Management appointed to advise benenden
- Benenden Health staff volunteer their DIY skills at New Earswick Folk Hall
- Benenden Health checks its marketing support for 2014
- benenden health staff members take on hair-raising challenge to help beat bowel cancer
- Northamptonshire hospital added to benenden health’s approved network of hospitals
- Benenden Health sign up as main York City FC sponsor for two more years
- Benenden Hospital’s £45 million redevelopment gets underway
- £45 million redevelopment contract agreed for benenden hospital
- Revolutionary approach to TV advertising adopted by benenden health
- York City shirts donated by Benenden Health go to South Africa
- Stress-busting advent calendar App launched by Benenden Health
- Festive fallouts look likely for couples across the UK
- Celebration of York’s community champions in York Press Community Pride Awards
- You have the chance to win £50 Amazon vouchers with @benendenhealth on Twitter!
- Design a Match Programme for York City’s Christmas Fixture
- benenden health comes on board as York Pride sponsor
- Win the opportunity to be a ball boy/girl for York City Football Club!
- Rose Window artwork for Bishopthorpe Palace from benenden health employee
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a big ‘thank you’?
- Mutuals call for stronger measures to improve access to healthcare following European elections
- Benenden Health welcome Chernobyl children with visit to York City Football Club
- Chief Executive responds to Times article on NHS top-up payments
- Health taboos cause Brits to put a ‘brave face’ on real health concerns
- benenden health staff donate to Toys & Tins Appeal
- New legislative initiative for mutuals welcomed by benenden health
- New Marketing and IT appointments for benenden health
- benenden health puts health on the agenda at Lib Dem Spring Conference
- Lack of awareness and understanding of OCD across the UK revealed in benenden health study
- Nearly half of people claim to have OCD-related traits or behaviours, but how do you know when it's really OCD?
- Benenden Group’s IT Director takes on a charity cycling challenge
- All for one and one for all – the mutual in modern society
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a Spa break?
- benenden health responds to Labour health speech
- Lifestyle diseases alone will bankrupt the NHS within a decade - launch of Respublica Report on the 'Mutual Future of the NHS'
- Your ideas can change Europe – Single Market Month launches
- Win the chance to be a York City FC Mascot!
- Healthy boost to York primary schools
- New benenden health subsidiary in first major initiative launch
- Survey reveals changing attitudes to health and appearance as we get older
- York’s unsung heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- benenden health teams up with GetLenses in reciprocal marketing partnership
- Free health checks offered to York City fans & York residents!
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2014 – with the chance to £1000!
- You have the chance to win a festive hamper with benenden health on Facebook!
- Visit our Twitter page – with the chance to win £40 Vue Cinema vouchers!
- Can mutuals rejuvenate consumer confidence in the insurance sector?
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to York print business
- benenden health welcomes Poppleton Tigers to York City Football Club
- Latest UK Tuberculosis rates revealed in report by Public Health England
- Visit our page on Facebook – with the chance to win one year’s free membership to InstructorLive!
- Study reveals changing attitudes to 'middle age'
- Benenden Health strikes deal as new main sponsor for York City in the Community
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to Martin Tolhurst Solicitors
- benenden health staff volunteer at Poppleton Community Railway Nursery
- Research reveals true cost of school holidays for parents across the UK
- benenden health staff plunge 10,000 feet in charity sky dive
- A second award shortlisting for benenden health’s community work
- Benenden health welcome Chernobyl children to York with visit to York City Football Club
- Public uncertainty around recent changes to the NHS
- benenden health on Ideal World TV
- Southport economy boosted by conference for leading UK mutual
- benenden health strikes deal with Leeds, York & North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce
- benenden health scoops hat trick of prestigious customer service awards
- Benenden Health’s ‘111’ alternative attains 98% satisfaction rate
- Study reveals small talk may becoming a thing of the past
- Views on the future of the mutual sector sought by the European Commission
- benenden health celebrates York Pride 2013
- Assisted Dying debate reopens as research reveals the extend of support for legalisation
- York youth club Door 84 benefits from charity football shirt swap
- Double winner Benenden Health aiming for hat-trick in major customer service awards
- benenden health staff volunteer at the RSCPA York Animal Home
- Win a £399 fitness break with the latest edition of benhealth magazine!
- Study reveals impact of sickness absence on workers and employees
- International group of doctors and scientists warn of modern Tuberculosis threat
- Study reveals high impact of stalled economy on wellbeing of workers
- Children’s charities to be the focus of staff fundraising efforts at benenden health in 2013
- benenden health rebrand helps charities score in huge football shirt swap
- Raynauds Awareness Month
- Balloon launch marks start of exciting future for leading local mutual
- Request media information
Press & Media Centre
Survey reveals pressures facing first-time mums
20 December 2012
The average worried first-time mum makes 16 trips to the doctors in their child’s first year, a study by leading health and wellbeing mutual organisation Benenden Healthcare Society, revealed yesterday.
Researchers found one in three mums admit they ‘panicked’ and took baby to the doctors surgery with a common cold, while many worried themselves into taking their tot to the doctors with what turned out to be a cough.
Incredibly, one in ten had even dashed to the doctor believing their baby was unconscious – only to be told he or she was sleeping. While the average new mum experienced 15 bouts of panic during the baby’s first year.
Results showed it takes a new mum six and half months on average to become accustomed to her child’s different cries and coughs without panicking every time.
Yesterday Jean Scott, Member Services Director for Benenden Healthcare said: “Being a new mother can be an overwhelming experience and it is natural to feel anxious about the health of your child. As a mother myself, I know how daunting this can be and how vital it is to get support during this initial period.
“Often getting professional advice when you feel your child may be unwell can be the only way to put your mind at ease, even if it ultimately turns out only to be a cold.”
Fifty per cent of mums feel there was a stage they reached where they were able to worry slightly less, but this wasn’t until the child reached 3 ½ years.
Two thirds of mums made regular checks all through the night to see if their baby was still breathing. And the constant worry over whether the baby is breathing ok doesn’t stop until the child reaches 13.5 months on average.
In fact, the average mum didn’t receive her first full night’s sleep free of worry or without the baby waking until 12 months after giving birth it emerged. One in five mums admitted to worrying too much, while a third considered their worrying to always be justified.
However 44 per cent had been made to feel like they were a hypochondriac or guilty of wasting the doctor or health professional’s time.
Those first months of the baby’s life passed by in a blur for seven out of ten who were regularly worrying.
While a third confessed there were times they felt they didn’t have what it takes to be a mum because of the amount they panicked. And just as soon as they did get the hang of being a mum, seventy per cent said they felt like they had to go through a whole new set of challenges as their baby became a toddler.
Nearly two thirds say there has been a time when they’ve wanted to step in as a mum but had to hold themselves back a bit as they knew they were mothering or protecting their child too much.
But experience counts and 45 per cent of those who went on to have a second child said they worried less about getting everything right.
Jean Scott added: “What these results really show is that it is common for first-time mums to be concerned about their child’s health and that most new parents experience this heightened level of anxiety.
“Worry is an unavoidable aspect of motherhood, however it is important to find the right balance between an acceptable level of worry that ensures your baby stays healthy whilst being able to enjoy the experience of being a new mum – even if this is often easier said than done!”
TOP 10 MOST COMMON DOCTOR VISITS IN BABY’S FIRST YEAR
2. High temperature
4. Knocked their head
5. Not eating or drinking
9. Crying lots
10. Worried they’ve swallowed something
The survey of 2,000 British mums was carried out by online market researchers www.OnePoll.com on 30th November 2012.