- Media centre
- Benenden celebrates 25 years in York as the ‘best company’ to work for in the City
- Home insurance product launched by Benenden
- Clifton Green School visit Abbey Home Farm with help from Benenden
- Kent charity appoints Benenden to provide health and wellbeing services for staff
- Benenden Chief Executive Opens Annual Westminster Reception
- Europe makes progress on health exclusion in TTIP, but doubts remain on investment clause
- Prevention, not cure, is the answer to ailing NHS – say public
- Benenden appoints new Head of Member Experience
- Recognition for Benenden in financial sector awards
- £17,500 boost to Benenden Charitable Trust fundraising
- Benendens Chief Executive speaks at bi-annual meeting of International mutuals
- York City legends take on Barnsley FC Fit Reds Team in charity match
- Benenden Raises the Rainbow in support of York Pride
- Benenden scoops fifth consecutive win at prestigious customer service awards
- Scottish setting for Benenden’s conference in 110th anniversary year
- York primary schools get healthy boost in wellbeing initiative
- SNAPPY birthday wishes from Benenden
- Benenden joins European mutuals in calling the EU Parliament to further protect the NHS in Trade Agreement
- Travel Insurance Gift for Kent children and families
- York 10K training underway for Benenden 30-strong team!
- £2 million investment for Benenden Hospital’s diagnostic scanning department
- Research award for team led by Benenden Hospital Consultant
- York City legends kick off charity match in Harrogate
- Brooklyn FC reaps benefits of York City experience
- Benenden aims for fifth consecutive win in major customer service awards
- Discovering shared values with leading Danish mutual
- Art in Healthcare charity initiative supported by Benenden
- Benenden shortlisted in national employee benefits awards
- From gentle stretches to pumping Zumba launch of 100 years of fitness video
- Search begins for Yorks community heroes
- Not-for-profit organisations as preferred providers for the NHS a response to Andy Burnham
- Businesses urged to Raise your Rainbow for York Pride 2015
- Benenden recognised as one of the UK’s top 100 not-for-profit organisations to work for
- Devolution of health budgets to regions offers opportunity to make use of mutual expertise
- Benenden Hospital celebrates construction works with topping out ceremony
- Mutuals can play a role in the future of UK healthcare a response to Frank Field MP
- Kick off for York City and benenden charity matches
- Charities receive benefit from benenden staff fundraising!
- The positive contribution made by mutuals to growth and healthcare
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2015
- Solidarity-based health systems and the importance of mutuals
- Charity glasses appeal results in donation of over 3,000 glasses
- Benenden consultant provides medical help in Iraq
- York City FC Foundation and sponsors Benenden Health launch new opportunity for grassroots junior football
- The Benenden Health team donate to The Press Toys and Tins Appeal
- Two thirds believe we’re more selfish than 20 years ago
- Benenden Hospital features in TV programme about independent healthcare
- Stress can reduce your mental ability to “that of a small child”
- Enter the Benenden Health Christmas competition
- Your chance to win a festive treat with @benendenhealth on twitter
- Benenden Hospital consultant in adviser role for new movie
- Benenden Health takes the stage at international mutuals forum
- Benenden Health sponsors York City’s festive match programme competition
- Benenden talks to Think Tank Policy Review about EU priorities
- Chief Executive of benenden health responds to the ‘NHS Five Year Forward View’
- Benenden Health hailed as York’s ‘Large Business of the Year’
- The necessity for a European Mutual Statute highlighted in the European Parliament
- Research reveals health is low down on the list of priorities for UK people
- Benenden supports glasses for The Gambia initiative
- York’s community champions celebrated in York Community Pride Awards
- Benenden appoints new Head of HR
- Your chance to win an iPod shuffle with benenden health on Twitter
- Need some motivation to help you exercise?
- Know someone who deserves to be pampered?
- Empowering patients a hot topic for benenden health at party conferences
- City of York Athletic Club and sponsors benenden health set the ‘beep test challenge’
- York heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- Benenden Health shortlisted in two categories at local business awards
- Getting ready for your holidays? You’ve got the chance to win a £10 Boots voucher with benenden health on Twitter!
- Benenden Health voices concern on new Free Trade Agreement with the United States
- Benenden Health’s National Health Report 2014
- Benenden Health acquires Keegan & Pennykid (Insurance Brokers) Ltd
- UK study by benenden health finds a nation wilfully neglecting its health
- Benenden launches UK-wide Health Assessments product
- Mutuals call for stronger measures to improve access to healthcare following European elections
- G&E Wealth Management appointed to advise benenden
- benenden health aim for fourth win in a row in major customer service
- benenden health teams up with GetLenses in reciprocal marketing partnership
- Stress-busting advent calendar App launched by Benenden Health
- benenden health responds to Labour health speech
- Revolutionary approach to TV advertising adopted by benenden health
- All for one and one for all – the mutual in modern society
- Free health checks offered to York City fans & York residents!
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2014 – with the chance to £1000!
- The mutual future of our National Health Service
- New HR Director appointed for benenden group
- Benenden Group appoints new Head of Strategy
- New legislative initiative for mutuals welcomed by benenden health
- Health taboos cause Brits to put a ‘brave face’ on real health concerns
- York City shirts donated by Benenden Health go to South Africa
- Our mutual friends have NOT lost the plot…
- You have the chance to win a festive hamper with benenden health on Facebook!
- Benenden Health staff volunteer their DIY skills at New Earswick Folk Hall
- Visit our Twitter page – with the chance to win £40 Vue Cinema vouchers!
- Can mutuals rejuvenate consumer confidence in the insurance sector?
- Chief Executive responds to Times article on NHS top-up payments
- What becomes of the broken hearted?
- Free health checks offered to York City fans and residents
- Benenden Health secures fourth win at prestigious customer service awards
- Benenden Health checks its marketing support for 2014
- benenden health on board as lead partner for Active York
- benenden health staff donate to Toys & Tins Appeal
- benenden health welcomes Poppleton Tigers to York City Football Club
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to York print business
- Latest UK Tuberculosis rates revealed in report by Public Health England
- Win the chance to be a York City FC Mascot!
- benenden health staff members take on hair-raising challenge to help beat bowel cancer
- Win the opportunity to be a ball boy/girl for York City Football Club!
- Visit our page on Facebook – with the chance to win one year’s free membership to InstructorLive!
- Nearly half of people claim to have OCD-related traits or behaviours, but how do you know when it's really OCD?
- Rose Window artwork for Bishopthorpe Palace from benenden health employee
- Study reveals changing attitudes to 'middle age'
- End to VAT on Air Ambulance fuel helps benenden health’s local charity of the year
- Your ideas can change Europe – Single Market Month launches
- Benenden Group’s IT Director takes on a charity cycling challenge
- Healthy boost to York primary schools
- Benenden Health strikes deal as new main sponsor for York City in the Community
- Northamptonshire hospital added to benenden health’s approved network of hospitals
- benenden health fundraising takes a healthy turn in 2014
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a big ‘thank you’?
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to Martin Tolhurst Solicitors
- Former NHS Director takes customer services reins at benenden health
- Benenden Hospital’s £45 million redevelopment gets underway
- benenden health staff volunteer at Poppleton Community Railway Nursery
- How much do men and women worry about their looks?
- Lack of awareness and understanding of OCD across the UK revealed in benenden health study
- benenden health puts health on the agenda at Lib Dem Spring Conference
- Design a Match Programme for York City’s Christmas Fixture
- Research reveals true cost of school holidays for parents across the UK
- £45 million redevelopment contract agreed for benenden hospital
- benenden travel insurance hits the market
- benenden health staff plunge 10,000 feet in charity sky dive
- benenden health support York City Football Club’s first Football v Homophobia match
- A second award shortlisting for benenden health’s community work
- Celebration of York’s community champions in York Press Community Pride Awards
- New Marketing and IT appointments for benenden health
- benenden health comes on board as York Pride sponsor
- Benenden Health’s Annual Conference takes place in Kensington
- York Pride 2014
- Benenden health welcome Chernobyl children to York with visit to York City Football Club
- Festive fallouts look likely for couples across the UK
- You have the chance to win £50 Amazon vouchers with @benendenhealth on Twitter!
- What do people think of mutuality?
- Public uncertainty around recent changes to the NHS
- New benenden health subsidiary in first major initiative launch
- Benenden Health welcome Chernobyl children with visit to York City Football Club
- Lifestyle diseases alone will bankrupt the NHS within a decade - launch of Respublica Report on the 'Mutual Future of the NHS'
- Benenden Health sign up as main York City FC sponsor for two more years
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a Spa break?
- benenden health on Ideal World TV
- Fundraising for Creepy Crawlies defibrillator given a boost by benenden health
- Southport economy boosted by conference for leading UK mutual
- Lowestoft Town FC signs up for benenden employee healthcare scheme
- benenden health’s Chief Executive responds to Reform report proposals on the NHS
- Survey reveals changing attitudes to health and appearance as we get older
- benenden health strikes deal with Leeds, York & North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce
- York’s unsung heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- benenden health scoops hat trick of prestigious customer service awards
- Benenden Health’s ‘111’ alternative attains 98% satisfaction rate
- Study reveals small talk may becoming a thing of the past
- Views on the future of the mutual sector sought by the European Commission
- benenden health celebrates York Pride 2013
- Assisted Dying debate reopens as research reveals the extend of support for legalisation
- York youth club Door 84 benefits from charity football shirt swap
- Double winner Benenden Health aiming for hat-trick in major customer service awards
- benenden health staff volunteer at the RSCPA York Animal Home
- Win a £399 fitness break with the latest edition of benhealth magazine!
- Study reveals impact of sickness absence on workers and employees
- International group of doctors and scientists warn of modern Tuberculosis threat
- Study reveals high impact of stalled economy on wellbeing of workers
- Children’s charities to be the focus of staff fundraising efforts at benenden health in 2013
- benenden health rebrand helps charities score in huge football shirt swap
- Raynauds Awareness Month
- Balloon launch marks start of exciting future for leading local mutual
- Request media information
Press & Media Centre
Benenden Healthcare set to open doors to all
21st June 2012
With GPs on strike and satisfaction levels in the NHS seeing record drops*, the future of UK healthcare is uncertain. Benenden Healthcare Society believes that there is a role to play for non-profit, low-cost, ethical business models in the provision of public services – and today they have taken a huge leap to be part of that provision.
UK residents are set for greater choice in healthcare provision as Benenden Healthcare Society’s annual conference voted today to remove the last of its membership eligibility restrictions.
The annual conference was held at the Palace Hotel in Manchester this week following a year-long membership consultation on the issue of eligibility criteria.
Membership of Benenden Healthcare up until today had been restricted to current or former public sectors workers as well as members of credit unions, co-operatives and charities.
Now, any UK resident aged 16 or over, will be able to join the Society and benefit from its mutual, not-for-profit ethos.
This represents a major leap forward for the organisation, with its 107 year history beginning in 1905 when Post Office workers clubbed together using a low-cost, mutual model so that quality healthcare could become affordable for all.
Ken Hesketh, Chief Executive at Benenden Healthcare, said: “Benenden Healthcare has a long history with significant milestones along the way and this represents the most important yet.
“The Society aims to complement, not replace, the healthcare provision of the NHS and thus provide greater choice to individuals in tailoring the way they access health in the UK.
“This move, to allow any UK resident aged 16 or over to join the Society, means that choice is openly accessible with no discrimination due to your employer background.
“We support this choice with low contribution rates, high quality customer service, prompt consultation and treatment - and above all, it is underpinned with a mutual, not-for-profit ethos where every member is able to get democratically involved in the progress of the organisation.”
Benenden Healthcare is forecasting that an open eligibility criteria will result in increases in membership levels (from c.930,000 in 2012 to c.1,000,000 in 2016) but Ken Hesketh reassures: “This move for open eligibility is not only to increase membership levels.
“We are realistic in realising we must be competitive within a tough healthcare environment, but we are also passionate about the future of mutuals and co-operatives in the UK.
“We believe that mutuals like ours have a strong future in the provision of public services and this move to open eligibility places us perfectly to be a part of that.”
Members are allocated to regional branches on joining the Society. They are encouraged to participate and make proposals to the annual conference – held in June each year. Delegates are also nominated from branches to attend conference – and it is these delegates who have voted in favour of opening the Society.
Ken continued: “The proposition to Conference came about as we realised our previous eligibility criteria, taking up a large chunk of our rulebook, were unrealistic in a modern environment and not supportive of our values and ethos.”
Benenden Healthcare’s vision is to be the UK’s leading health & wellbeing mutual organisation – and this decision will help the Society to help others, which is one of its founding principles.