- Media centre
- Travel Insurance Gift for Kent children and families
- York 10K training underway for Benenden 30-strong team!
- £2 million investment for Benenden Hospital’s diagnostic scanning department
- Research award for team led by Benenden Hospital Consultant
- York City legends kick off charity match in Harrogate
- Brooklyn FC reaps benefits of York City experience
- Discovering shared values with leading Danish mutual
- Benenden aims for fifth consecutive win in major customer service awards
- Art in Healthcare charity initiative supported by Benenden
- Benenden shortlisted in national employee benefits awards
- From gentle stretches to pumping Zumba launch of 100 years of fitness video
- Search begins for Yorks community heroes
- Not-for-profit organisations as preferred providers for the NHS a response to Andy Burnham
- Businesses urged to Raise your Rainbow for York Pride 2015
- Benenden recognised as one of the UK’s top 100 not-for-profit organisations to work for
- Devolution of health budgets to regions offers opportunity to make use of mutual expertise
- Benenden Hospital celebrates construction works with topping out ceremony
- Mutuals can play a role in the future of UK healthcare a response to Frank Field MP
- Kick off for York City and benenden charity matches
- Charities receive benefit from benenden staff fundraising!
- The positive contribution made by mutuals to growth and healthcare
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2015
- Solidarity-based health systems and the importance of mutuals
- Charity glasses appeal results in donation of over 3,000 glasses
- Benenden consultant provides medical help in Iraq
- York City FC Foundation and sponsors Benenden Health launch new opportunity for grassroots junior football
- The Benenden Health team donate to The Press Toys and Tins Appeal
- Benenden Hospital features in TV programme about independent healthcare
- Two thirds believe we’re more selfish than 20 years ago
- Enter the Benenden Health Christmas competition
- Stress can reduce your mental ability to “that of a small child”
- Your chance to win a festive treat with @benendenhealth on twitter
- Benenden Hospital consultant in adviser role for new movie
- Benenden Health takes the stage at international mutuals forum
- Benenden Health hailed as York’s ‘Large Business of the Year’
- Benenden talks to Think Tank Policy Review about EU priorities
- Benenden Health sponsors York City’s festive match programme competition
- Benenden supports glasses for The Gambia initiative
- Need some motivation to help you exercise?
- Chief Executive of benenden health responds to the ‘NHS Five Year Forward View’
- Research reveals health is low down on the list of priorities for UK people
- The necessity for a European Mutual Statute highlighted in the European Parliament
- Benenden Health shortlisted in two categories at local business awards
- Benenden launches UK-wide Health Assessments product
- York heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- York’s community champions celebrated in York Community Pride Awards
- Know someone who deserves to be pampered?
- Benenden appoints new Head of HR
- Empowering patients a hot topic for benenden health at party conferences
- Benenden Health’s National Health Report 2014
- Benenden Health voices concern on new Free Trade Agreement with the United States
- Your chance to win an iPod shuffle with benenden health on Twitter
- City of York Athletic Club and sponsors benenden health set the ‘beep test challenge’
- Getting ready for your holidays? You’ve got the chance to win a £10 Boots voucher with benenden health on Twitter!
- Benenden Health acquires Keegan & Pennykid (Insurance Brokers) Ltd
- Benenden Health’s Annual Conference takes place in Kensington
- Benenden Group appoints new Head of Strategy
- What becomes of the broken hearted?
- York City shirts donated by Benenden Health go to South Africa
- UK study by benenden health finds a nation wilfully neglecting its health
- Fundraising for Creepy Crawlies defibrillator given a boost by benenden health
- You have the chance to win £50 Amazon vouchers with @benendenhealth on Twitter!
- benenden health support York City Football Club’s first Football v Homophobia match
- How much do men and women worry about their looks?
- Design a Match Programme for York City’s Christmas Fixture
- Win the opportunity to be a ball boy/girl for York City Football Club!
- benenden health on board as lead partner for Active York
- benenden health comes on board as York Pride sponsor
- Rose Window artwork for Bishopthorpe Palace from benenden health employee
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a big ‘thank you’?
- Benenden Health welcome Chernobyl children with visit to York City Football Club
- Health taboos cause Brits to put a ‘brave face’ on real health concerns
- benenden health aim for fourth win in a row in major customer service
- New legislative initiative for mutuals welcomed by benenden health
- All for one and one for all – the mutual in modern society
- benenden health responds to Labour health speech
- Free health checks offered to York City fans and residents
- benenden health staff donate to Toys & Tins Appeal
- Former NHS Director takes customer services reins at benenden health
- Your ideas can change Europe – Single Market Month launches
- benenden travel insurance hits the market
- £45 million redevelopment contract agreed for benenden hospital
- Win the chance to be a York City FC Mascot!
- Healthy boost to York primary schools
- New benenden health subsidiary in first major initiative launch
- York Pride 2014
- Survey reveals changing attitudes to health and appearance as we get older
- Benenden Health sign up as main York City FC sponsor for two more years
- Stress-busting advent calendar App launched by Benenden Health
- York’s unsung heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- benenden health teams up with GetLenses in reciprocal marketing partnership
- G&E Wealth Management appointed to advise benenden
- Mutuals call for stronger measures to improve access to healthcare following European elections
- The mutual future of our National Health Service
- New HR Director appointed for benenden group
- Free health checks offered to York City fans & York residents!
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2014 – with the chance to £1000!
- Revolutionary approach to TV advertising adopted by benenden health
- You have the chance to win a festive hamper with benenden health on Facebook!
- Our mutual friends have NOT lost the plot…
- Can mutuals rejuvenate consumer confidence in the insurance sector?
- Visit our Twitter page – with the chance to win £40 Vue Cinema vouchers!
- Benenden Health staff volunteer their DIY skills at New Earswick Folk Hall
- Chief Executive responds to Times article on NHS top-up payments
- Benenden Health secures fourth win at prestigious customer service awards
- benenden health welcomes Poppleton Tigers to York City Football Club
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to York print business
- Benenden Health checks its marketing support for 2014
- benenden health staff members take on hair-raising challenge to help beat bowel cancer
- Latest UK Tuberculosis rates revealed in report by Public Health England
- Visit our page on Facebook – with the chance to win one year’s free membership to InstructorLive!
- Nearly half of people claim to have OCD-related traits or behaviours, but how do you know when it's really OCD?
- Benenden Group’s IT Director takes on a charity cycling challenge
- Study reveals changing attitudes to 'middle age'
- End to VAT on Air Ambulance fuel helps benenden health’s local charity of the year
- Northamptonshire hospital added to benenden health’s approved network of hospitals
- Benenden Health strikes deal as new main sponsor for York City in the Community
- benenden health fundraising takes a healthy turn in 2014
- Lack of awareness and understanding of OCD across the UK revealed in benenden health study
- benenden health staff volunteer at Poppleton Community Railway Nursery
- Benenden Hospital’s £45 million redevelopment gets underway
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to Martin Tolhurst Solicitors
- Research reveals true cost of school holidays for parents across the UK
- benenden health puts health on the agenda at Lib Dem Spring Conference
- Celebration of York’s community champions in York Press Community Pride Awards
- A second award shortlisting for benenden health’s community work
- benenden health staff plunge 10,000 feet in charity sky dive
- New Marketing and IT appointments for benenden health
- Festive fallouts look likely for couples across the UK
- Benenden health welcome Chernobyl children to York with visit to York City Football Club
- What do people think of mutuality?
- Public uncertainty around recent changes to the NHS
- Lifestyle diseases alone will bankrupt the NHS within a decade - launch of Respublica Report on the 'Mutual Future of the NHS'
- benenden health on Ideal World TV
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a Spa break?
- Lowestoft Town FC signs up for benenden employee healthcare scheme
- Southport economy boosted by conference for leading UK mutual
- benenden health strikes deal with Leeds, York & North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce
- benenden health’s Chief Executive responds to Reform report proposals on the NHS
- benenden health scoops hat trick of prestigious customer service awards
- Benenden Health’s ‘111’ alternative attains 98% satisfaction rate
- Study reveals small talk may becoming a thing of the past
- Views on the future of the mutual sector sought by the European Commission
- benenden health celebrates York Pride 2013
- Assisted Dying debate reopens as research reveals the extend of support for legalisation
- York youth club Door 84 benefits from charity football shirt swap
- Double winner Benenden Health aiming for hat-trick in major customer service awards
- benenden health staff volunteer at the RSCPA York Animal Home
- Win a £399 fitness break with the latest edition of benhealth magazine!
- Study reveals impact of sickness absence on workers and employees
- International group of doctors and scientists warn of modern Tuberculosis threat
- Study reveals high impact of stalled economy on wellbeing of workers
- Children’s charities to be the focus of staff fundraising efforts at benenden health in 2013
- benenden health rebrand helps charities score in huge football shirt swap
- Raynauds Awareness Month
- Balloon launch marks start of exciting future for leading local mutual
- Request media information
Press & Media Centre
Survey reveals changing attitudes to health and appearance as we get older
Thursday 19th September 2013
Men give up on their health and appearance at the age of just 46, while women keep up appearances for than a decade longer, a benenden health study revealed yesterday.
Women put the effort in a full thirteen years longer – focussing hard on their appearance and general fitness until at least age 59 before they start to relax their standards.
Men stop trying well before they reach the big 5-0 and are happier to cut out trips to the gym - four in ten said the most exercise they get comes from walking up the stairs.
The research, commissioned by the health & wellbeing mutual benenden health, found women were nearly twice as likely to lack confidence in their image with more than a third unable to claim they were at least content with their appearance.
In fact, a third of the 2,000 men and women studied blame a lack of happiness in contributing to their low confidence levels in the way they look.
Yesterday Paul Keenan, Head of Communications at benenden health said: “We regularly read in the news about how we are all living longer - thanks to improvements in medical science. But how many of us are taking proactive steps to ensure our basic health and wellbeing remains in shape as we grow older?
“Are we actually using healthcare services as a crutch to boost our longevity?
“Our survey suggests that maintaining our physical wellbeing into our later years simply becomes a lesser priority – influenced by wanting to relax in comfort and not have to keep up with trends. And men appear to ‘give up’ far sooner than women.
“The Department of Health promotes initiatives such as ‘Change 4 Life’ because it is recognised that a positive attitude to health and wellbeing throughout your lifecycle can help maintain good health in later years and reduce necessary visits to your GP.”
More than half of those surveyed said they aren’t in great shape physically whilst a third have never been the type to bother with doing exercise. Another third stop worrying about the food they eat and how much alcohol they drink.
Other factors contributing to letting health and appearance take a downward spiral were a preference for comfort over style and an increasing reluctance to keep up with anything deemed trendy or unfashionable. And one in four people were of the belief that keeping healthy and looking good costs too much money and is too big a commitment.
An acceptant seven in ten men don’t worry regularly about the way they look, while more than half said they don’t really take any pride in their appearance. That perhaps explains why one in three said they eat and drink what they like and don’t really consider health implications in regards to their diet.
And as well as giving up on appearances nearly half have a constant health nag they’ve been burdened with for a long time and have given up trying to heal or improve it.
Two thirds of people think it’s normal to give up on worrying about appearances once someone has a serious partner. And 53 per cent of those married echo those thoughts and no longer concentrate on their looks anywhere near as much as they did before getting hitched.
In fact, it takes a little over two years (26 months) after a wedding before the average person said they stopped bothering about their looks.
Paul Keenan added: “We know that many people do look after their health, wellbeing and physical appearance – but it’s shocking to see that a third have never been the type to bother with doing exercise and more than half think they are not in great shape physically.
“And what is the excuse? One in four people think that staying healthy costs too much money and is too big a commitment. But is this is really true when walking is free but cars cost money to run, or when water is cheap and alcohol prices are rising.
“We can’t rely on healthcare services to provide support constantly without also taking responsibility for creating the best possible environment ourselves for good physical health.”