- Media centre
- Benenden celebrates 25 years in York as the ‘best company’ to work for in the City
- Home insurance product launched by Benenden
- Clifton Green School visit Abbey Home Farm with help from Benenden
- Kent charity appoints Benenden to provide health and wellbeing services for staff
- Benenden Chief Executive Opens Annual Westminster Reception
- Europe makes progress on health exclusion in TTIP, but doubts remain on investment clause
- Prevention, not cure, is the answer to ailing NHS – say public
- Benenden appoints new Head of Member Experience
- Recognition for Benenden in financial sector awards
- £17,500 boost to Benenden Charitable Trust fundraising
- Benendens Chief Executive speaks at bi-annual meeting of International mutuals
- York City legends take on Barnsley FC Fit Reds Team in charity match
- Benenden Raises the Rainbow in support of York Pride
- Benenden scoops fifth consecutive win at prestigious customer service awards
- Scottish setting for Benenden’s conference in 110th anniversary year
- York primary schools get healthy boost in wellbeing initiative
- SNAPPY birthday wishes from Benenden
- Benenden joins European mutuals in calling the EU Parliament to further protect the NHS in Trade Agreement
- Travel Insurance Gift for Kent children and families
- York 10K training underway for Benenden 30-strong team!
- £2 million investment for Benenden Hospital’s diagnostic scanning department
- Research award for team led by Benenden Hospital Consultant
- York City legends kick off charity match in Harrogate
- Brooklyn FC reaps benefits of York City experience
- Benenden aims for fifth consecutive win in major customer service awards
- Discovering shared values with leading Danish mutual
- Art in Healthcare charity initiative supported by Benenden
- Benenden shortlisted in national employee benefits awards
- From gentle stretches to pumping Zumba launch of 100 years of fitness video
- Search begins for Yorks community heroes
- Not-for-profit organisations as preferred providers for the NHS a response to Andy Burnham
- Businesses urged to Raise your Rainbow for York Pride 2015
- Benenden recognised as one of the UK’s top 100 not-for-profit organisations to work for
- Devolution of health budgets to regions offers opportunity to make use of mutual expertise
- Benenden Hospital celebrates construction works with topping out ceremony
- Mutuals can play a role in the future of UK healthcare a response to Frank Field MP
- Kick off for York City and benenden charity matches
- Charities receive benefit from benenden staff fundraising!
- The positive contribution made by mutuals to growth and healthcare
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2015
- Solidarity-based health systems and the importance of mutuals
- Charity glasses appeal results in donation of over 3,000 glasses
- Benenden consultant provides medical help in Iraq
- York City FC Foundation and sponsors Benenden Health launch new opportunity for grassroots junior football
- The Benenden Health team donate to The Press Toys and Tins Appeal
- Two thirds believe we’re more selfish than 20 years ago
- Benenden Hospital features in TV programme about independent healthcare
- Stress can reduce your mental ability to “that of a small child”
- Enter the Benenden Health Christmas competition
- Your chance to win a festive treat with @benendenhealth on twitter
- Benenden Hospital consultant in adviser role for new movie
- Benenden Health takes the stage at international mutuals forum
- Benenden Health sponsors York City’s festive match programme competition
- Benenden talks to Think Tank Policy Review about EU priorities
- Chief Executive of benenden health responds to the ‘NHS Five Year Forward View’
- Benenden Health hailed as York’s ‘Large Business of the Year’
- The necessity for a European Mutual Statute highlighted in the European Parliament
- Research reveals health is low down on the list of priorities for UK people
- Benenden supports glasses for The Gambia initiative
- York’s community champions celebrated in York Community Pride Awards
- Benenden appoints new Head of HR
- Your chance to win an iPod shuffle with benenden health on Twitter
- Need some motivation to help you exercise?
- Know someone who deserves to be pampered?
- Empowering patients a hot topic for benenden health at party conferences
- City of York Athletic Club and sponsors benenden health set the ‘beep test challenge’
- York heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- Benenden Health shortlisted in two categories at local business awards
- Getting ready for your holidays? You’ve got the chance to win a £10 Boots voucher with benenden health on Twitter!
- Benenden Health voices concern on new Free Trade Agreement with the United States
- Benenden Health’s National Health Report 2014
- Benenden Health acquires Keegan & Pennykid (Insurance Brokers) Ltd
- UK study by benenden health finds a nation wilfully neglecting its health
- Benenden launches UK-wide Health Assessments product
- Mutuals call for stronger measures to improve access to healthcare following European elections
- G&E Wealth Management appointed to advise benenden
- benenden health aim for fourth win in a row in major customer service
- benenden health teams up with GetLenses in reciprocal marketing partnership
- Stress-busting advent calendar App launched by Benenden Health
- benenden health responds to Labour health speech
- Revolutionary approach to TV advertising adopted by benenden health
- All for one and one for all – the mutual in modern society
- Free health checks offered to York City fans & York residents!
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2014 – with the chance to £1000!
- The mutual future of our National Health Service
- New HR Director appointed for benenden group
- Benenden Group appoints new Head of Strategy
- New legislative initiative for mutuals welcomed by benenden health
- Health taboos cause Brits to put a ‘brave face’ on real health concerns
- York City shirts donated by Benenden Health go to South Africa
- Our mutual friends have NOT lost the plot…
- You have the chance to win a festive hamper with benenden health on Facebook!
- Benenden Health staff volunteer their DIY skills at New Earswick Folk Hall
- Visit our Twitter page – with the chance to win £40 Vue Cinema vouchers!
- Can mutuals rejuvenate consumer confidence in the insurance sector?
- Chief Executive responds to Times article on NHS top-up payments
- What becomes of the broken hearted?
- Free health checks offered to York City fans and residents
- Benenden Health secures fourth win at prestigious customer service awards
- Benenden Health checks its marketing support for 2014
- benenden health on board as lead partner for Active York
- benenden health staff donate to Toys & Tins Appeal
- benenden health welcomes Poppleton Tigers to York City Football Club
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to York print business
- Latest UK Tuberculosis rates revealed in report by Public Health England
- Win the chance to be a York City FC Mascot!
- benenden health staff members take on hair-raising challenge to help beat bowel cancer
- Win the opportunity to be a ball boy/girl for York City Football Club!
- Visit our page on Facebook – with the chance to win one year’s free membership to InstructorLive!
- Nearly half of people claim to have OCD-related traits or behaviours, but how do you know when it's really OCD?
- Rose Window artwork for Bishopthorpe Palace from benenden health employee
- Study reveals changing attitudes to 'middle age'
- End to VAT on Air Ambulance fuel helps benenden health’s local charity of the year
- Your ideas can change Europe – Single Market Month launches
- Benenden Group’s IT Director takes on a charity cycling challenge
- Healthy boost to York primary schools
- Benenden Health strikes deal as new main sponsor for York City in the Community
- Northamptonshire hospital added to benenden health’s approved network of hospitals
- benenden health fundraising takes a healthy turn in 2014
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a big ‘thank you’?
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to Martin Tolhurst Solicitors
- Former NHS Director takes customer services reins at benenden health
- Benenden Hospital’s £45 million redevelopment gets underway
- benenden health staff volunteer at Poppleton Community Railway Nursery
- How much do men and women worry about their looks?
- Lack of awareness and understanding of OCD across the UK revealed in benenden health study
- benenden health puts health on the agenda at Lib Dem Spring Conference
- Design a Match Programme for York City’s Christmas Fixture
- Research reveals true cost of school holidays for parents across the UK
- £45 million redevelopment contract agreed for benenden hospital
- benenden travel insurance hits the market
- benenden health staff plunge 10,000 feet in charity sky dive
- benenden health support York City Football Club’s first Football v Homophobia match
- A second award shortlisting for benenden health’s community work
- Celebration of York’s community champions in York Press Community Pride Awards
- New Marketing and IT appointments for benenden health
- benenden health comes on board as York Pride sponsor
- Benenden Health’s Annual Conference takes place in Kensington
- York Pride 2014
- Benenden health welcome Chernobyl children to York with visit to York City Football Club
- Festive fallouts look likely for couples across the UK
- You have the chance to win £50 Amazon vouchers with @benendenhealth on Twitter!
- What do people think of mutuality?
- Public uncertainty around recent changes to the NHS
- New benenden health subsidiary in first major initiative launch
- Benenden Health welcome Chernobyl children with visit to York City Football Club
- Lifestyle diseases alone will bankrupt the NHS within a decade - launch of Respublica Report on the 'Mutual Future of the NHS'
- Benenden Health sign up as main York City FC sponsor for two more years
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a Spa break?
- benenden health on Ideal World TV
- Fundraising for Creepy Crawlies defibrillator given a boost by benenden health
- Southport economy boosted by conference for leading UK mutual
- Lowestoft Town FC signs up for benenden employee healthcare scheme
- benenden health’s Chief Executive responds to Reform report proposals on the NHS
- Survey reveals changing attitudes to health and appearance as we get older
- benenden health strikes deal with Leeds, York & North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce
- York’s unsung heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- benenden health scoops hat trick of prestigious customer service awards
- Benenden Health’s ‘111’ alternative attains 98% satisfaction rate
- Study reveals small talk may becoming a thing of the past
- Views on the future of the mutual sector sought by the European Commission
- benenden health celebrates York Pride 2013
- Assisted Dying debate reopens as research reveals the extend of support for legalisation
- York youth club Door 84 benefits from charity football shirt swap
- Double winner Benenden Health aiming for hat-trick in major customer service awards
- benenden health staff volunteer at the RSCPA York Animal Home
- Win a £399 fitness break with the latest edition of benhealth magazine!
- Study reveals impact of sickness absence on workers and employees
- International group of doctors and scientists warn of modern Tuberculosis threat
- Study reveals high impact of stalled economy on wellbeing of workers
- Children’s charities to be the focus of staff fundraising efforts at benenden health in 2013
- benenden health rebrand helps charities score in huge football shirt swap
- Raynauds Awareness Month
- Balloon launch marks start of exciting future for leading local mutual
- Request media information
Press & Media Centre
Study reveals changing attitudes to 'middle age'
28th August 2013
Brits don’t hit ‘middle age’ until they turn 53, survey reveals.
A lifestyle study of 2,000 men and women commissioned by benenden health found attitudes towards hitting the middle of our years are rapidly changing.
Rising life expectancy and healthier lifestyles mean the average person now feels it’s not until well into our fifties that we begin the downward curve.
Less divide between the age groups was cited as a big contributor with social media sites and lives led increasingly online blurring the lines between young and old.
In fact 53 per cent thought there isn’t really a ‘middle age’ stage of life at all anymore.
The research found the approximate ‘middle age’ has moved from the mid-thirties and into the fifties.
When asked to describe the signs of approaching middle age, Brits cited a frustration with modern tech, an increasing reliance on naps and choosing clothes for comfort over style among the top 40.
Not knowing any songs in the top ten, thinking policemen look very young and taking a flask of tea around with you were also seen as some of the more quirky signs of hitting the middle years.
Yesterday Paul Keenan, Head of Communications at benenden health said: “Brits are happily skipping over the traditional notions of ‘middle age’ as the lines become blurred between what is classed as ‘young’ and ‘old’.
“A variety of factors - including more active lifestyles and healthier living - mean that people find their attitudes towards getting older are changing. Over half of the people surveyed didn’t feel that there even was such a thing as ‘middle age’ anymore.
“It’s clear what age you are has become less important in determining how young you feel.”
Eight in ten people think the term ‘middle age’ is much harder to define now than it used to be and the same number thinks it’s much more a state of mind now than a physical milestone.
In fact, 43 per cent of the over fifties studied felt they had not experienced ‘middle age’ yet.
Nearly three quarters of Brits feel there is less of a divide between the age groups than there used to be.
Improved healthcare was cited as the main reason for a blurring between generations while more than half thought increased communication and social media meant people are defined less and less by their age.
And when it comes to hitting the milestones, the older generation were three times more likely to describe turning 50 as the point they reached a new stage in life than when they turned thirty or forty.
84 per cent of those surveyed by benenden health believe if you think of yourself as old you’ll naturally start to feel old, while the same number feel their happiness directly relates to how healthy they are.
Illness and memory loss are the things people fear most about growing old.
Paul Keenan added: “Being ‘old’ appears to be a state of mind rather than being a specific age. People no longer see ‘middle age’ as a numerical milestone and don’t tend to think of themselves as ‘old’ as they hit their fifties and beyond. I’m 54 myself, with the mind-set of a thirty-something – perhaps sometimes even that of a teenager!”
“Living a healthy and varied lifestyle helps people to keep feeling young and we see people embracing getting older. ‘Middle age’ is becoming a term with less and less significance.”
TOP 40 SIGNS OF MIDDLE AGE
- Losing touch with everyday technology such as tablets and TVs
- Finding you have no idea what ‘young people’ are talking about
- Feeling stiff
- Needing an afternoon nap
- Groaning when you bend down
- Not remembering the name of any modern bands
- Talking a lot about your joints/ailments
- Hating noisy pubs
- Getting more hairy – ears, eyebrows, nose, face etc.
- Thinking policemen/teachers/doctors look really young
- Preferring a night in with a board game than a night on the town
- You don’t know any songs in the top ten
- Choosing clothes and shoes for comfort rather than style
- Taking a flask of tea on a day out
- Obsessive gardening or bird feeding
- Thinking there is nothing wrong with wearing an anorak
- Forgetting people’s names
- Booking on to a cruise
- Misplacing your glasses / bag / car keys etc.
- Complaining about the rubbish on television these days
- Gasping for a cup of tea
- Getting bed socks for Christmas and being very grateful
- Taking a keen interest in The Antiques Road Show
- When you start complaining about more things
- Listening to the Archers
- You move from radio one to radio two
- Joining the National Trust
- Being told off for politically incorrect opinions
- Flogging the family car for something sportier
- When you can’t lose six pounds in two days anymore
- You get shocked by how racy music videos are
- Taking a keen interest in the garden
- Buying travel sweets for the car
- Considering going on a ‘no children’ cruise for a holiday
- When you know your alcohol limit
- Obsessively recycling/ knowing the collection dates
- Always carrying a handy pack of tissues
- Falling asleep after one glass of wine
- Spending more money on face creams / anti-ageing products
- Preferring a Sunday walk to a lie in