- Media centre
- Benenden appoints new Head of Member Experience
- Recognition for Benenden in financial sector awards
- £17,500 boost to Benenden Charitable Trust fundraising
- Benendens Chief Executive speaks at bi-annual meeting of International mutuals
- Benenden Raises the Rainbow in support of York Pride
- York City legends take on Barnsley FC Fit Reds Team in charity match
- Benenden scoops fifth consecutive win at prestigious customer service awards
- Scottish setting for Benenden’s conference in 110th anniversary year
- York primary schools get healthy boost in wellbeing initiative
- SNAPPY birthday wishes from Benenden
- Benenden joins European mutuals in calling the EU Parliament to further protect the NHS in Trade Agreement
- Travel Insurance Gift for Kent children and families
- £2 million investment for Benenden Hospital’s diagnostic scanning department
- York 10K training underway for Benenden 30-strong team!
- Research award for team led by Benenden Hospital Consultant
- York City legends kick off charity match in Harrogate
- Brooklyn FC reaps benefits of York City experience
- Benenden aims for fifth consecutive win in major customer service awards
- Discovering shared values with leading Danish mutual
- Art in Healthcare charity initiative supported by Benenden
- Benenden shortlisted in national employee benefits awards
- From gentle stretches to pumping Zumba launch of 100 years of fitness video
- Search begins for Yorks community heroes
- Not-for-profit organisations as preferred providers for the NHS a response to Andy Burnham
- Businesses urged to Raise your Rainbow for York Pride 2015
- Benenden recognised as one of the UK’s top 100 not-for-profit organisations to work for
- Devolution of health budgets to regions offers opportunity to make use of mutual expertise
- Benenden Hospital celebrates construction works with topping out ceremony
- Mutuals can play a role in the future of UK healthcare a response to Frank Field MP
- Kick off for York City and benenden charity matches
- Charities receive benefit from benenden staff fundraising!
- The positive contribution made by mutuals to growth and healthcare
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2015
- Solidarity-based health systems and the importance of mutuals
- Charity glasses appeal results in donation of over 3,000 glasses
- Benenden consultant provides medical help in Iraq
- York City FC Foundation and sponsors Benenden Health launch new opportunity for grassroots junior football
- The Benenden Health team donate to The Press Toys and Tins Appeal
- Two thirds believe we’re more selfish than 20 years ago
- Enter the Benenden Health Christmas competition
- Benenden Hospital features in TV programme about independent healthcare
- Stress can reduce your mental ability to “that of a small child”
- Your chance to win a festive treat with @benendenhealth on twitter
- Benenden Hospital consultant in adviser role for new movie
- Benenden Health takes the stage at international mutuals forum
- Benenden talks to Think Tank Policy Review about EU priorities
- Benenden Health sponsors York City’s festive match programme competition
- Benenden Health hailed as York’s ‘Large Business of the Year’
- Benenden supports glasses for The Gambia initiative
- Need some motivation to help you exercise?
- Chief Executive of benenden health responds to the ‘NHS Five Year Forward View’
- The necessity for a European Mutual Statute highlighted in the European Parliament
- Research reveals health is low down on the list of priorities for UK people
- Benenden launches UK-wide Health Assessments product
- York heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- Benenden Health shortlisted in two categories at local business awards
- York’s community champions celebrated in York Community Pride Awards
- Know someone who deserves to be pampered?
- Benenden appoints new Head of HR
- Empowering patients a hot topic for benenden health at party conferences
- Benenden Health’s National Health Report 2014
- Benenden Health voices concern on new Free Trade Agreement with the United States
- Your chance to win an iPod shuffle with benenden health on Twitter
- City of York Athletic Club and sponsors benenden health set the ‘beep test challenge’
- Getting ready for your holidays? You’ve got the chance to win a £10 Boots voucher with benenden health on Twitter!
- Benenden Health acquires Keegan & Pennykid (Insurance Brokers) Ltd
- UK study by benenden health finds a nation wilfully neglecting its health
- Mutuals call for stronger measures to improve access to healthcare following European elections
- G&E Wealth Management appointed to advise benenden
- benenden health aim for fourth win in a row in major customer service
- benenden health teams up with GetLenses in reciprocal marketing partnership
- Stress-busting advent calendar App launched by Benenden Health
- benenden health responds to Labour health speech
- Revolutionary approach to TV advertising adopted by benenden health
- All for one and one for all – the mutual in modern society
- Free health checks offered to York City fans & York residents!
- Take part in the Moneywise Consumer Opinion Survey 2014 – with the chance to £1000!
- The mutual future of our National Health Service
- New HR Director appointed for benenden group
- Benenden Group appoints new Head of Strategy
- New legislative initiative for mutuals welcomed by benenden health
- Health taboos cause Brits to put a ‘brave face’ on real health concerns
- York City shirts donated by Benenden Health go to South Africa
- Our mutual friends have NOT lost the plot…
- You have the chance to win a festive hamper with benenden health on Facebook!
- Benenden Health staff volunteer their DIY skills at New Earswick Folk Hall
- Visit our Twitter page – with the chance to win £40 Vue Cinema vouchers!
- Can mutuals rejuvenate consumer confidence in the insurance sector?
- Chief Executive responds to Times article on NHS top-up payments
- What becomes of the broken hearted?
- Free health checks offered to York City fans and residents
- Benenden Health secures fourth win at prestigious customer service awards
- Benenden Health checks its marketing support for 2014
- benenden health on board as lead partner for Active York
- benenden health staff donate to Toys & Tins Appeal
- benenden health welcomes Poppleton Tigers to York City Football Club
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to York print business
- Latest UK Tuberculosis rates revealed in report by Public Health England
- Win the chance to be a York City FC Mascot!
- benenden health staff members take on hair-raising challenge to help beat bowel cancer
- Win the opportunity to be a ball boy/girl for York City Football Club!
- Visit our page on Facebook – with the chance to win one year’s free membership to InstructorLive!
- Nearly half of people claim to have OCD-related traits or behaviours, but how do you know when it's really OCD?
- Rose Window artwork for Bishopthorpe Palace from benenden health employee
- Study reveals changing attitudes to 'middle age'
- End to VAT on Air Ambulance fuel helps benenden health’s local charity of the year
- Your ideas can change Europe – Single Market Month launches
- Benenden Group’s IT Director takes on a charity cycling challenge
- Healthy boost to York primary schools
- Benenden Health strikes deal as new main sponsor for York City in the Community
- Northamptonshire hospital added to benenden health’s approved network of hospitals
- benenden health fundraising takes a healthy turn in 2014
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a big ‘thank you’?
- benenden health appointed to provide corporate health plan to Martin Tolhurst Solicitors
- Former NHS Director takes customer services reins at benenden health
- Benenden Hospital’s £45 million redevelopment gets underway
- benenden health staff volunteer at Poppleton Community Railway Nursery
- How much do men and women worry about their looks?
- Lack of awareness and understanding of OCD across the UK revealed in benenden health study
- benenden health puts health on the agenda at Lib Dem Spring Conference
- Design a Match Programme for York City’s Christmas Fixture
- Research reveals true cost of school holidays for parents across the UK
- £45 million redevelopment contract agreed for benenden hospital
- benenden travel insurance hits the market
- benenden health staff plunge 10,000 feet in charity sky dive
- benenden health support York City Football Club’s first Football v Homophobia match
- A second award shortlisting for benenden health’s community work
- Celebration of York’s community champions in York Press Community Pride Awards
- New Marketing and IT appointments for benenden health
- benenden health comes on board as York Pride sponsor
- Benenden Health’s Annual Conference takes place in Kensington
- York Pride 2014
- Benenden health welcome Chernobyl children to York with visit to York City Football Club
- Festive fallouts look likely for couples across the UK
- You have the chance to win £50 Amazon vouchers with @benendenhealth on Twitter!
- What do people think of mutuality?
- Public uncertainty around recent changes to the NHS
- New benenden health subsidiary in first major initiative launch
- Benenden Health welcome Chernobyl children with visit to York City Football Club
- Lifestyle diseases alone will bankrupt the NHS within a decade - launch of Respublica Report on the 'Mutual Future of the NHS'
- Benenden Health sign up as main York City FC sponsor for two more years
- Know a friend or family member who deserves a Spa break?
- benenden health on Ideal World TV
- Fundraising for Creepy Crawlies defibrillator given a boost by benenden health
- Southport economy boosted by conference for leading UK mutual
- Lowestoft Town FC signs up for benenden employee healthcare scheme
- benenden health’s Chief Executive responds to Reform report proposals on the NHS
- Survey reveals changing attitudes to health and appearance as we get older
- benenden health strikes deal with Leeds, York & North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce
- York’s unsung heroes celebrated in shortlist for Community Pride Awards
- benenden health scoops hat trick of prestigious customer service awards
- Benenden Health’s ‘111’ alternative attains 98% satisfaction rate
- Study reveals small talk may becoming a thing of the past
- Views on the future of the mutual sector sought by the European Commission
- benenden health celebrates York Pride 2013
- Assisted Dying debate reopens as research reveals the extend of support for legalisation
- York youth club Door 84 benefits from charity football shirt swap
- Double winner Benenden Health aiming for hat-trick in major customer service awards
- benenden health staff volunteer at the RSCPA York Animal Home
- Win a £399 fitness break with the latest edition of benhealth magazine!
- Study reveals impact of sickness absence on workers and employees
- International group of doctors and scientists warn of modern Tuberculosis threat
- Study reveals high impact of stalled economy on wellbeing of workers
- Children’s charities to be the focus of staff fundraising efforts at benenden health in 2013
- benenden health rebrand helps charities score in huge football shirt swap
- Raynauds Awareness Month
- Balloon launch marks start of exciting future for leading local mutual
- Request media information
Press & Media Centre
Study reveals high impact of stalled economy on wellbeing of workers
27th March 2013
The latest study by mutual healthcare provider, benenden health, reveals the impact of high redundancy fears on the wellbeing of UK workers.
Whilst the average UK adult’s professional life consists of six jobs, 12 pay rises and one office romance, unpredictable economic woes can mean that the average worker will endure at least one period of unemployment or redundancy.
And most will survive three periods of stress caused by long working hours and unmanageable workloads, or friction with other colleagues or the boss.
The findings emerged in a detailed study of British workers, which shows the average person will experience 125 sick days, turn up late for work 188 times and brave 10 job interviews.
Additionally, workers will have 875 grumbles about other colleagues or the boss, and three major bust ups during their career.
Paul Keenan, Head of Communications at benenden health, which conducted the study of 2,000 workers, said: “We hear how UK workers are working longer and harder than ever before but this health check of the average UK adult’s working life confirms what we feared.
“Within an average career span, you’re likely to find reasons to grumble 14 times a year yet will only change jobs once a decade – perhaps because the grass isn’t necessarily greener on the other side.
“Heavy workloads and disagreements with colleagues can all take a heavy toll on our well-being and many of us are seeing this spill over into our home lives. This is coupled with the ongoing threat of redundancy whilst the UK economy struggles to get back on track.
“Employers can take on the lion’s share of the responsibility. For example, if days lost to sick leave are on the rise, they can review how they can provide employees with a caring approach to sickness absence management.”
The study shows that just a third of employees are truly happy with the way their career has worked out so far.
Five in 10 adults have already had genuine reasons to worry that they might lose their job, which in turn affects their happiness and contentment in the role.
As a consequence, 45 per cent say their performance at work was affected, half claimed their mental health was affected and 25 per cent said this led to a strain on their marriage or relationship.
Four in 10 people admit the demands of their job have had a negative impact on family life and relationships – indeed, the average worker will go through a rough patch with their partner at least twice during their working life.
A third of those polled admit they sometimes lose the balance between their work and personal life – letting long hours take over.
And for 29 per cent, the stress of work and the impact it has had on their personal life has led to them seeking medical help.
Heavy weight loss or gain, relationships ending, missing quality time with the children, arguments with a partner, tiredness and drinking too much are all cited as the consequences of holding down a stressful job – and can lead to Brits seeking medical help.
Financial stability is a big concern for many adults; despite an average starting wage of £10,983.50 and 12 pay rises over the course of 62.5 years, people still struggle to cope with the rising cost of living.
Indeed, most workers will work their way through two long periods of financial worry, before seeing light at the end of the tunnel. For 34 per cent of people this means finding a second job to make ends meet.
Interestingly, modern British workers are now likely to have at least one period during their working life where doctors will sign them off with stress.
But engineering workers will have the most pay rises over the course of their career getting 10 boosts to their salary over their working lifetime.
Those in hospitality have the least amount of pay rises getting just five in total.
The culture and sport sector were also found to be the most likely to have an office romance as well as take more sick days than any other industry.
And the jobs in media and publishing are most likely to have an effect on your family life and personal relationships, while the legal profession was found to have the least impact.
Paul Keenan continues: “There are small positives - for example, those losing control of a work-life balance are still in the minority. But with over third of people needing to find second jobs, maintaining this balance will become a losing battle.”
Breakdown of Results:
Number of different jobs 6
Number of companies worked at 6
Pay rises 12
Major bust ups / arguments 3
Small disagreements / grumbles 875
Office romances 1
Cups of tea / coffee 45,500
Sick days 125
Late for work 188
Periods of unemployment 1
Job interviews 10
Periods of serious financial worries 2
Periods of stress 3
Relationship strain due to long hours 2
Signed off work with stress 1
The nationally representative survey of 2,000 Brits was carried out by market researchers www.OnePoll.com on 18th March 2013.