Society announces strong performance in provision of member benefits
16th January 2012
Recently compiled figures for Benenden Healthcare Society’s member services performance in 2011 show the strength of a mutual model in ensuring prompt support for its members.
The Society, a leading UK health & wellbeing mutual organisation, is pleased to announce the following 2011 statistics ahead of its yearly annual report (produced at the end of the financial year).
- More than 56,000 people joined the Society as members or nominees (2010 figure = 53,000)
- We offered services to 93,000 of our members, their family and friends
- Our Local Diagnostic Services were offered 55,669 times
- The 24 Hour Advice lines (GP & Counselling) were used 15,521 times
- We made 13,949 referrals to our subsidiary and independent hospital, Benenden Hospital in Kent
- We also made 5,080 referrals to our other Regional Treatment Centres for a consultation or treatment.
- 337,608 member calls were received at our Registered Office in York.
Most importantly, 99% of members who used the Society’s services were satisfied (results from December 2011 Membership Satisfaction Survey).
This follows being voted ‘Most Trusted’ healthcare provider at the Moneywise Customer Service Awards 2011.
The Society’s mutual model, where all members pay an equal subscription regardless of their age or circumstances, ensures that all are treated on a level playing field. Benenden Healthcare has a membership of over 900,000 members across the UK, each paying £1.50 per person, per week.
When the Society was founded in 1905, mutuals and co-operatives were experiencing a boom in response to the economic conditions of the time. Now, as we weather uncertain economic conditions in the second decade of the 21st Century, we may be on the verge of a new golden age for mutuals, co-operatives and other like-minded organisations.
Benenden Healthcare is well placed to participate fully in the future for the mutual/co-operative sector, continuing its work in this sector in 2012 by supporting the International Year of Co-operatives.