York City secures Benenden support to 2019
21st April 2016
York City Football Club and Benenden have today announced the continuation of their shirt sponsorship arrangement through to 2019, in a new three year deal starting next season.
York-based mutual healthcare provider Benenden have been major partners and shirt sponsor of the Football League Two club since June 2012, with the current agreement running to the end of this season.
Lawrence Christensen, Group Marketing Director at Benenden, said: “Since teaming up with York City to be their shirt sponsor in 2012, we have thoroughly enjoyed a rewarding relationship that has resulted in a wide range of activity and positive outcomes for both parties. The club knows that in an organisation like Benenden they don’t just get a cheque, but they gain a spirited, hard-working partner in the community.
“By signing up to a new three year deal regardless of the outcomes of this season, we wanted to let the club, the team and the fans know that we are behind them. We believe the club has a strong vision and positive future, particularly with the move to the new Community Stadium that surely promises to be of major benefit to the city.
“We’re really looking forward to the next few years of working with the club and wish the team well in their ongoing league fight this season.”
Jason McGill, Chairman of York City Football Club, said: “I am absolutely thrilled and delighted by the wonderful long term support and commitment that Benenden has shown towards York City, especially during this challenging time for the club. The YCFC and YCFC Foundation partnership with Benenden not only helps the first team squad, but also enables the creation and delivery of meaningful community initiatives that make a real difference to children and the vulnerable in our city.
“I would call the team at Benenden not just partners, but friends, with both of us having the same objectives and goals and I thank them again for their unstinting support.”
Timeline of activity between Benenden and York City Football Club
- Benenden signs up as shirt sponsor of York City
- Provides heart monitoring and health checks to first team squad
- Benenden initiates free shirt-swap for fans when their logo is changed mid-season. Archbishop of York is first fan to swap shirts.
- Free health checks offered by Benenden to YCFC fans. Health checks for fans have been offered on a regular basis since.
- Local charities receive swapped YCFC shirts from Benenden, including Door 84
- Children from Chernobyl region given a football party at YCFC thanks to Benenden. Further football parties have since been offered to other groups including local charities and grassroots football teams. Benenden have also facilitated the opportunity for local kids to be ball boys/girls and mascots on match days
- Benenden renews shirt sponsorship for 2013/2014 season and becomes main sponsor of York City Football Club Foundation, the club’s independent charitable arm
- Swapped shirts from January shirt-swap also taken abroad, including on a visit to Romania by Archbishop Holgate’s School pupils. Since then, the swapped shirts have travelled the globe
- As sponsor of York Pride, Benenden supports the club’s first ever ‘Football vs Homophobia’ match – this has run every season since
- Benenden renews shirt sponsorship for two years: the 2014/2015 and 2015/2016 seasons
- 1000 primary school children from across York receive health and wellbeing workshops thanks to Benenden and YCFC Foundation staff
- Charity matches launched by Benenden and YCFC Foundation - featuring former York City stars - which go on to raise thousands of pounds for several charities during 2015
- 1700 primary school children in York benefit from health and wellbeing workshops
- Benenden and YCFC Foundation team up to provide anti-bullying workshops for 2500 primary school children across York
- Benenden and YCFC host VIP match day experience for volunteers in Dec 2015 floods