New member enquiries 0800 414 8001 *

Existing members 0800 414 8100 *

Community comes together to put on a special day for children with Dyspraxia

25th September 2015

A community project to hold a special party for children suffering with Dyspraxia will be taking place this week in the Hall Green area of Birmingham – with support being provided by health and wellbeing provider Benenden, along with other local businesses and community organisations.  

The party which will bring together families from across the UK, will be held on 26th September at Gospel Oak Community Centre and will give the children a fun-filled day of activities and entertainment with the chance to meet and interact with others who have the same condition in a safe and inclusive environment.  

The idea for the party arose after a discussion on the Facebook group “Dyspraxia – A Listening Ear, Here to Help” about how children with this condition can sometimes be excluded from social occasions with peers. The group was created by the late Sandi Lack who has since sadly passed away and it stands as a legacy to her tireless campaigning for to raise awareness of Dyspraxia.

Dave Crathorne, who has organised the party, explained “It is unfortunately the case that sometimes children who have conditions such as Dyspraxia and ADHD are excluded from parties and so miss out on vital social occasions that build confidence and extend their life opportunities.

“I was inspired to set up this party after reading a post online from a mother about how distressed her son was at never being invited to birthday parties by his school peers. I talked about this with my 9 year old son and he asked me if we could all have our own party and invite everyone from this group.  I posted on Facebook and the response was overwhelming, from families in the Midlands and beyond, most of whom had never had the opportunity to take their children to a party.

“We’ve had so much support in helping put this party together – from volunteers who are helping out on the day to the use of the community centre for free. The support from Benenden has also been invaluable to help make the day really special for the children and their families  – I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone for their help and support, I know it will mean so much to the children and their families.”

Health and wellbeing provider, Benenden will be providing financial support to help make the day free for the families to attend - helping to provide food and various party entertainments for the day including a bouncy castle.

Claire Hetherington, Communications Co-ordinator at Benenden explains: “When we heard about what the group were trying to do we were really keen to get involved. It’s so important that children with this condition have the same opportunities to interact socially and enjoy a party atmosphere as everyone else and we thought this was a fantastic idea.

“The donation is part of a programme of activity by Benenden to actively seek out small-scale grassroots community projects or activities to support through one-off donations or grants across the UK and this seemed like a perfect project for us to help as part of this. We really hope all the children and their families have a fantastic day!”

Ends

twitter icon facebook icon youtube icon linkedin icon googleplus icon

Contact us - We would love to hear from you

New members

Send us a message

Benenden Personal Healthcare
Holgate Park Drive
York
YO26 4GG
0800 414 8001 * (Lines open 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri excluding Bank Holidays)

Existing members

Send us a message

Benenden Personal Healthcare
Holgate Park Drive
York
YO26 4GG
0800 414 8100 * (Lines open 8am - 8pm, Mon-Fri excluding Bank Holidays)

Please note that your call may be recorded for our mutual security and also for training and quality purposes.

Health cash plans

Benenden Health Cash Plan
BHSF Limited
2 Darnley Road,
Birmingham,
B16 8TE
0800 414 8071

Lines are open 8.45am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

Self-pay orthopaedic surgery

Send us a message

Benenden Hospital Trust
Goddard's Green Road
Benenden
Cranbrook
Kent
TN17 4AX
01580 242521 (Lines open 8am-4.30pm Mon-Fri)

Health assessments

Send us a message

Health assessments
Unit 1, Cameron Court
Cameron Street
Hillington Park
Glasgow
G52 4JH
0800 414 8486*

Travel insurance

Send us a message

Travel insurance
2nd Floor Maitland House
Warrior Square
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS1 2JY
0800 414 8301*

Lines open for Sales
9am-8pm Monday to Friday 
9am-5pm Saturday
10am-5pm Sunday

Lines open for Customer Services
9am-8pm Monday to Friday
9am-5pm Saturday
10am-5pm Sunday

Benenden for business

Send us a message

Benenden for Business
Holgate Park Drive
York
YO26 4GG

0800 414 8179
(Lines are open 9am-5pm Mon-Fri)

Home insurance

Send us a message

Benenden Home Insurance
1st Floor Maitland House
Warrior Square
Southend on Sea
Essex
SS1 2JY
0800 414 8556* (Lines open Monday to Friday 9am – 7pm, Saturday 9am – 5pm, excludes Bank Holidays)

Home Emergency
0800 294 2851* (Lines open 24 hours a day)

Legal Expenses
0330 100 9618* (Lines open 24 hours a day)

Charitable trust

Send us a message

Find out more

Charitable Trust
Holgate Park Drive
York
YO26 4GG
0800 414 8450* (Lines open 8am - 4pm Mon-Fri)